Thursday, November 15, 2007

venting

You probably are sick of hearing about this.  Other blogs are probably been writing about it, but I've not had a chance to even look around my favorites lately.   But here's the scoop: six prominent TV evangelists are being investigated by the Senate to ensure that their lavish lifestyle and fundraising is not crossing the lines of propriety…and the law.  

 

I have to say this…I'm glad.  Yes, when ministers are put in the spotlight for questionable, or even proven wrong behavior, it puts a bad light on all ministers, churches and the body of Christ.   But someone has to call us to a place of accountability and many of these evangelists (though most wouldn't call themselves that) are far removed from any real accountability.   And unfortunately, many people who want to be like them follow their example and teaching, leaving a wake of wounded, disillusioned people behind them.

 

When I was in the CLB, I heard a lot of the same teaching as these ministers teach; most were promoted and recommended to us.   We had several similar ministries coming through the church and at conferences, but one in particular stood out to me. 

 

One guy came in a taught on prosperity at a conference we hosted.  In it he talked about his collection of luxury or high-end cars he had.   (I can't remember how many but it was more than five or six.)  These cars were worth a lot of money.  Then he goes on to tell us how he was believing God for a "new jet."  He had a plane already, but needed a new one, and was "believing God" to receive what he "needed".   Not to mention his Rolex watch he liked to talk about.  I guess all of this was supposed to make us all realize that if you were spiritual like him, you would get rich like him.  

 

The only thing I came out of it with was anger.  I don't have a problem with having nice things.   And I do believe that there must be an increase in prosperity in God's children's lives if we are to further the gospel like we need to.  I do believe it is plan of the enemy to keep us focused on our need and caught in debt, which will stall the furthering of the gospel.  

 

But I also believe it's the ploy of the enemy to keep us focused on the things we have rather than what we could do with what we already have.   When I was sitting in that service, I wanted to stand up and say, "God has already given you the money for your new plane, sitting in your garage!  Why do you need to 'believe' anymore, making people feel guilty enough to give you more money which you don't really need?  Sell your ….  cars and buy the ….  plane." 

 

I don't know where to go in this post, or what I'm really trying to say outside of venting, but I do hope in the light of this investigation and with all that's going on at ORU, that a reality check will come these that preach and have the people's trust.  

 

Yes, I do affirm a place for blessing in the people of God, but not to the place of excess where those who do not know Him are turned away because they are disgusted by the display they see, not to mention those of us who do know him and are just as disgusted.  

 

God save us from ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. Jesus is our model.... can you see Him believing for a "new" jet or a Rolex watch or a SIXTH car? Honestly.

I think what is lost in all this, as you said, is a heart of gratefulness. How can we be grateful for what we have if we are always pursuing more? What happened to "godliness with contentment is great gain" (I Tim. 6:6)?

Not only that, but how are we using the resources that God has entrusted to our care? Are we using it to "adorn" ourselves or lift ourselves up or are we using it to help those who need it most, thus furthering the kingdom of God in love? Matthew 13:22 warns us that the "....the deceitfulness of riches choke the word". If we didn't need to guard ourselves in that area, I don't think Jesus would have mentioned it! So, I would warn anyone preaching this "prosperity" message to first check out what the Bible defines as being "rich" and then preach THAT! Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't include gluttony!

Thanks for venting. I guess I am too!

Blessings, Jill