Tuesday, February 5, 2008

seventeen and nine

Seventeen years ago today, on a beach in Barrington, RI, my wife and I took our first date. Two and a half years later, in October of 1993 we were married.  I remember starting the car after we had closed the church up and all our friends and family had gone and I looked at her and said, "well, here we go on the our great adventure."  And so it has been. 

 

Looking back, I still see no reason why we survived those first few years.  The only way I can see is that we had the grace of God and we had each other.  We weren't the typical newlyweds fighting it out trying to figure out each other, for we were blessed to have had great mentors and spiritual friends who had prepared us for this experience called marriage and we faced each day as a team.  That doesn't mean there weren't bumps in the road, for every journey has its holes in the road, and surprising twists, but we made it. 

 

The little five room apartment that could fit in the living room and dining room I have now was a great little place to begin our lives together.  It was old.  My great grandfather had built the building it was in and it showed, but we made it a home.  Funny now, how we are running out of space in our two-story home with a basement, but yet, we had all we needed in that little apartment.

 

After spending over a year trying to figure out God's plan for us, we found ourselves in new adventures still as we moved into ministry and eventually full-time ministry, paying more than we had made yet, but still not paying enough!  We found our love of ministry and we poured out our lives into the lives of young people, teens and young adults, even though we ourselves were merely young adults.  But we did it together.

 

Going to work together, living together, some people thought, "Are you crazy?"  But we made it work.  But there was still more that we needed…someone to share our love.  Isn't this the reason we desire and have children, so that we can love them?  I taught Sunday at church that God created us to love us and this is the reason we have children as well, so that we can love them…and we wanted a child, too.

 

Nine years ago today, on the eighth anniversary of our first date, my beautiful little girl was born.  The apple of Daddy's eye and pride of Mommy's heart.  She has filled our lives with such joy and happiness. 

 

Yesterday I got to spend a few hours with my daughter, taking in the Hannah Montana 3-D Movie Concert, but most of all watching her and being in awe of her joy.  I am amazed at her growth and maturing into the woman she is becoming. 

 

I am doubly blessed today to share a special day, a special date on the calendar, the day I received the two greatest blessings of my life: my two women, my wife and daughter.  I love them more today than ever before, and am so humbled that God chose me for them.  Thank you Lord.  I owe you everything.

No comments: