Tuesday, September 18, 2007

me vs. thee

I was thinking last night that I believe, at least, for me, the whole of Christianity, this life of faith in God, is boiled down to how much we can trust.  I know I’ve written post after post and taught message after message about this subject, but it truly, for me, is what it keeps coming back to.

 

How much can I trust God to be who he said he will be to me?  How much do I place my trust in my plans versus his plans?  Why is it so hard for me to abandon my schemes and plots and just simply be still (stop moving, fretting, fighting, worrying) and know that he is God.  How I handle this issue in my life doesn’t determine whether or not I will have problems or not, but it will determine my response to them and whether or not I handle them appropriately.  Let’s just say lately it’s been a struggle. 

 

Trust is such a big issue.  It’s funny because I have a pretty easy time trusting other people, but when it comes to handling life and issues that arise where I need to trust God’s provision or guidance or just simply his presence, I struggle.  I don’t know if this comes from a wound still unhealed, having had spiritual fathers in my life fail me or misrepresent God to me or if its simply a standard human struggle, but it’s there. 

 

I keep thinking of that wonderful line in Evan Almighty.  (I know it didn’t do well in the box office, but I really liked it and it had a really good message.)  God tells Evan, “When someone prays for patience, I don’t give it to them, but I give them opportunities to be patient.”  And so on, and so on.  I keep telling God that I want to trust him more and better, but last night I told him I really could use him lightening up on the opportunities to trust him!!  Thank God he understands all my craziness. 

 

Anyway, if you’re reading this and you want to jump into conversation on this, leave me a comment.  How do you do trusting God?  Is it hard for you?  Do you find yourself scrambling to find “plan B” if God doesn’t seem to come through?  What’s your take?  And if you have the secret to trusting God better, share it with all of us.  I’m open, wide open!! 

4 comments:

Barb said...

I think I trust God just fine. But in so many ways it is like a leaky garden hose. I think I have all the leaks plugged up and am trusting him just fine, the water is flowing and everything is just hunky dory when all of a sudden I notice that the hose is leaking a bit. I go to plug that hole, "ok God I will trust you with that. Hadn't noticed it before this." Then once that is plugged, I notice another area that is leaking profusely. I go and tend to that area just in time to notice another leak. In time, my trusting is just running from one area that I don't really trust to another. Only the pressures of life bring these areas to the light.

Lately I have been realizing that Father is going to have to supply my friendship and fellowship needs after leaving our church. I thought I had this down untill my older daughter moved back home. I was urging her to get involved in a fellowship group so that she would have christian friends. Again, not trusting that God can actually work all by Himself in her life too.

I can see God smiling at me running back and forth trying to plug up all the holes of doubt...maybe I should just opt for a soaker hose and admit that I kinda suck at this whole trusting thing.

PJ said...

I love your analogy, Barb. It's great. I sometimes feel the same way. I think that part of turning the corner in all of this is that we recognize that we are just stopping leaks and admitting that we "suck at trusting." And finding out that others do too and that we're not alone in all of this is major to our development and moving forward. Thanks!

Kevin and Lisa said...

Hear Hear! I wholeheartedly agree. I find my walk with the Father constantly coming back to this point as well. I noticed it first in relation to my finances but I'm noticing it boils down to all areas. When we look through the scriptures we see that was a big issue for all the greats; Adam, Eve, Moses, David, the Disciples the just didn't trust that God/Jesus would do what he said he would do. More and more I realize that our relationship is more and more about learning to listen to what he says and then doing it. "Trust & Obey for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to Trust & Obey"

Flames of Glory said...

After a little study and some prayer, this is what I have to say on this trust thing... Your trust will continue to grow along with your faith. I would like to suggest that you move your focus onto faith and let the trust come along as it will. Hebrews 4:9 says, There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from His. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter into that rest. Faith... , trust... What a barrier to get beyond! Wow. God led me to a book that really expands on these issues called, "Faith For Earth's Final Hour" by Hal Lindsey. I didn't even know I had this book. He says that since we have, all our lives, tried to cope with daily problems and more by our own limited strength and understanding, we struggle. We become Christians and are suppose to stop trying to deal and simply believe the promises of the Lord. How?
Lindsey says that..."each believer has to crack the faith barrier, which is also very difficult to penetrate. Though it takes a great deal of speed to crack the sound barrier, to crack the faith barrier we must stand still and exert no human effort. This defies all previous human experience, which makes it so difficult." To help you learn to wholly depend/trust upon God and not self, read scriptures from Hebrews where there are examples of this God-given rest. Continue claiming the promises of God and put your faith in action.
Lord, may Elizabeth put her trust in You and never be in confusion. As she continues to build relationship with You, become her strong habitation where she will continually turn. You knew her from creation and You loved her. You are Elizabeth's Hope and Trust. Fill her mouth with continuous praise. Let Your Word, taught to her from her youth, come to her mind so that she can speak Your truth. Increase Your greatness in Elizabeth and comfort her on every side.
Thank You Lord. We believe Your Word is true. You said in Matt 18:19 that if two of us(those submitted to You) shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. So, Lord, we stand together in agreement on these matters. Continue to cause us to want You more. Keep our hearts soft and our ears open to You. We bless You, Lord. Amen.