Friday, December 7, 2007

support

A while back I told someone that I see myself filling a support role in almost everything I do.  When I look back at my life and the jobs that I've had, the ministries I've been in, I always seem to be in a support role, helping other people fulfill what they have to do.   Even now, as an "administrative assistant," I find myself "assisting" other people get their projects and other assignments done. 

 

I was kind of pondering this one day, wondering how this role I seem to play all the time either work or have to change as I take on the pastor hat again.   For years, I learned either by implication or by actual messages, that the leader takes the front and everyone follows.  (Typical CLB teaching.)   And honestly I would get frustrated about that sometimes, as I don't always feel comfortable with the leader role.  Even though I was a full-time pastor for eleven years, and even led groups as the primary pastor/leader, I always saw myself as the supporter of our senior pastor and his vision.   (This is actually what got me "in trouble" in the end, as I was accused of supporting the wrong person.  To this day, God has yet to tell me I was wrong.)

 

My pondering led to me to this thought, a shepherd is one who supports the sheep.  Yes, he leads them, but it's his loving support that endears them to him and makes them trust him.   It's not about his great communication skills or strategic planning that causes them to follow, but his support and love.  They know that their shepherd lives with them and will be there for them.   He supports them, with love and wisdom and guidance. 

 

Maybe this is why I play a support role in life.  I enjoy helping other people find their place in life and in faith.   I love watching them connect with God in a new and exciting way.  I love to bring a new way of looking at God's word to them that they "get it."

 

Maybe this is why the CEO model of ministry and pastoring/church is failing and people are rejecting it.  CEO doesn't look out for the people under him, but only for the bottom line and the expansion of the business.  But a pastor can come up underneath someone and help them, support them, cheer them on to their destinies, and in the long run fulfill their own.  

 

I guess I'm okay with my support role, though now it's becoming a bit more complex.  At least I know I'm used to it!    

1 comment:

Stephen said...

YES, we all need and need to be a support. Even the CEO model ministry. Good Thought.