Thursday, July 5, 2007

lesson learned #2

*Church is not what we’ve made it to be.  I think of the song “The Heart of Worship,” and the lyric that says, “I’m sorry, Lord, for the thing I’ve made it, when it’s all about you…”  The song is specifically speaking of worshipping God, but I am applying it to church in general.  I’ve taught for years that church is a people on the journey of faith, living faith together, seeking to know and become like Christ, but now I see it more clearly than ever. 

 

Paul wrote to the early church:  “greetings to the church that meets in so-and-so’s house.”  He was recognizing that the church wasn’t the house, but the people who met in the house.  Because of this awareness, church has happened in so many ways or places in the last year.  (I can see a new t-shirt:  “church happens.”)  But it does and it has.  The people who have met with me for coffee, for dinner, for fellowship, for study, to lead, all these have been the church for me.  We have discovered this great calling out from our lives and worlds to share together in the walk of faith.  I am looking forward to what God has in store for us as a community of friends on a journey.

 

 

1 comment:

Kevin and Lisa said...

I couldn't have said it better myself.